Have you ever seen someone who looked really good, only for them to open their mouth and ruin the whole image because they had bad breath? Or worse, did you ever wonder why people were not standing too close to you, only to be told that your breath smelled quite bad?
Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is actually quite common. The good news is that it is preventable and also curable.
Bad Breath Causes:
- The commonest bad breath cause is eating things with a strong odor, like garlic or onions, and not brushing your teeth regularly. Strong odor foods can retain their odor on your mouth even if you gargle.
- On the other hand, any food item can result in halitosis if you do not brush your teeth after each meal. This is because bacteria start acting on the food present between the teeth and on the tongue, and result in release of bad smelling substances.
- Smoking and chewing tobacco is a very common cause of halitosis. So this is one more reason to avoid smoking!
- If the smell does not go away even on brushing, it may be because of some disease, particularly gum disease.
- Yeast infection
- Dental caries
- Dry mouth. For example, when we just wake up in the morning, we may have bad breath due to decreased saliva. Diseases like xerostamia (dry mouth) also result in halitosis.
- Foreign body in the nose can cause bad breath in children
- Cancers of the mouth can also result in bad breath.
- Other serious diseases include pneumonia, diabetes or diseases related to kidneys or liver.
Bad Breath Cure:
This is the best method to take care of bad breath. Brush and floss your teeth after every meal, particularly before going to bed. This will reduce the presence of food in your mouth and also reduce gum disease.
If you wear dentures, braces or any such thing, make sure it is always clean.
Anti-bacterial mouth washes can help reduce bacterial growth and hence cure bad breath.
Visit your dentist at least once every six months, so you can catch any problem early on. A dentist may also prescribe special toothpaste for your condition.
Giving up smoking and tobacco is an excellent idea, for many things besides just curing bad breath.
Drink plenty of water to prevent mouth dryness.
Reducing coffee, alcohol, excessive onions and overly spicy food can also help.