Wondering what kind of protein is this, which everyone talks about these days? Whey is a byproduct of milk which is separated during the production of cheese. Remember when your Mom made different recipes out of that liquid which separated from yogurt? That’s how whey looks like in its raw form. Milk constitutes of two types of proteins casein 80% and rest 20% is whey. During the production of cheese, the whey is separated and is processed into a powder. Whey powder is not so good to taste. So, many companies have come up with various popular flavors like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and many more. The journey of whey goes long back in history during 330 B.C where Hippocrates termed this liquid as serum.
He used to prescribe it to his patients to build their muscular structure. So, it’s not something new that is discovered, just that it comes in the form of powder and various companies have been offering it as a health supplement. Recommended by dietitians and gym instructors; whey protein is one of the best health supplements, especially for those looking for muscle build up. Confused among the varieties available in the market? We are here to help you to choose best whey protein for women weight loss.
How whey protein helps to reduce weight
Whey protein is a great after workout supplement as it’s easy to digest and reduces cholesterol level. Proteins the building blocks of our body are assembled with the help of amino acids. Some amino acids are produced by our body cells while the others we get from the food we consume. Whey protein is rich in (BCAA) Branched-chain amino acids; essential amino acids such as valine, isoleucine, and leucine. BCAA helps in protein synthesis in our body. Leucine keeps the muscle lean while keeping a check on the fat. Isoleucine helps in energy production in our body. Together these amino acids help in muscle building without adding the extra fat and carbohydrates. Whey protein also promotes a healthy immune system as it contains Glutathione, an antioxidant that boosts your immune system. Women tend to consume less protein, which eventually leads to health risks such as obesity, thinning of hair, fragile finger and toenails. Consuming less protein in your diet may also put you at risk of developing osteoporosis due to slow metabolism. Apart from boosting the immunity and keeping you healthy, whey also answers your untimely hunger pangs. Helping you reduce weight eventually. So, go for it girls and pick the right one for you. Don’t forget to consult your doctor before going on diet.
Right time to take whey protein for weight loss
Worked your muscles out in the gym? Whey protein is here to save you. As per Study(Cellular and molecular regulation of muscle regeneration. Physiological Reviews, Volume 84, 209-238) show that an average adult’s body takes about 48 hours to regrow and repair the muscle lost during the workout. In order to speed that process; it is advised to take whey protein within one hour after finishing the workout. It does wonder if taken in proper measures. Whey protein can also be taken in liquid form during the daytime as advised by your doctor. Craving for a spicy snack? Replace it with a quick whey meal or shake and see how fast you fit in your old dress!
How much whey protein powder you should take
According to the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA), the protein intake for a healthy adult is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. Average women require 40-46gms of protein intake every day. On the other hand, men require 60- 65gms of it. The modern food habits do not match this chart. Even after consuming 2-3 eggs, a glass of milk, vegetables, and soy milk, we fall short of the required daily intake. The cooking method majorly being the culprit here drains out most of the protein present in raw food. Do not worry; just add one or two scoops of whey protein to your glass of milk or you can divide it into proportions during the day. Your protein intake may increase as your work out gets harder. So, always consult your trainer and doctor regarding your protein intake.
Which type of whey protein shake is best for you
Whey protein is generally of four types: native, concentrate, isolate and hydrolysate. Native whey protein is directly extracted from skimmed milk, which makes it the purest form of whey. It contains up to 95% of protein, less fat, less lactose and other bio active compounds. Concentrate whey protein is processed to remove non- protein nutrients from whey leaving it with 70 – 80% protein and rest is fat and carbohydrates. The concentrate whey protein is further processed to create Isolate Whey. Isolate whey has the highest protein content i.e. up to 95%; leaving it with a minimal amount of fat and other bio active compounds. Hydrolysate is the pre-digested or partially broken form of whey protein. As the name suggests a little water is added during the production process so that it is easier to digest.
Also read Beginners guide to whey protein, side effects, benefits and facts about whey protein
Points to be remember before buying whey protein powders
Decided to raise your protein intake ladies? Don’t rush; look for the best suitable product in the market.
- Check whether the whey protein you choose is grass fed or grain fed. Grass fed whey is considered to be better as it contains omega 3 fatty acid. Cows raised on farms are fed with the good quality grass which adds to the nutrient value of whey. Whereas cows rose for commercial purpose are treated badly and are fed with grains and other leftover food. Grain fed whey is high in omega 6 fatty acids and has been linked with a large number of chronic and degenerative diseases.
- Choose cold processed whey protein to overheat processed; as whey loses its nutrient value due to the high heat it goes through during the process.
- Some companies add sugar and other sweeteners to make it taste good, which again tends to bring down your health efforts to minimal. Avoid extra sweeteners or added sugar in your whey if you want that perfect figure you have targeted.
- Always check for the ingredients before buying whey protein and keep these points in mind. Still confused over whey or casein? Go for Whey girls as it is easy to digest whereas casein takes time to get digested in your body.
- A major point to be kept in mind before buying the whey protein powders is to check whether your body accepts lactose easily or not? Some people are lactose intolerant, so they must go for the isolate whey and if you face no such problem, the world of whey is wide open for you. Pick your favorite according to the requirement. Don’t forget to consult your doctor.
Top 05 whey protein powders for women weight loss in 2018
- Optimum Nutrition (ON) Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder – 2 lbs
Consisting of Whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides, Whey Gold Standard is nice whey product in the market. Having muscle cramps after that gym routine? You need to supplement your diet with whey protein. Girls don’t confuse it with a mass gainer. This is a supplement to tone up your muscles without adding fat and carbohydrates to your body. Vegetarians out there be cautious as the product claims to be veg but has no green mark, that supports the claim. A box of 2 pounds offers you 25 serving, with a measuring scoop inside it. Good for the ones looking to develop a taste for whey protein. Trust me without flavored whey you will not be able to gulp it down your throat. So, choose wisely and consult your instructor as well as your doctor.
⦁ Contains less sugar thus cutting that extra fat.
⦁ Loaded with the essential BCCA’s to give you that right shape.
⦁ Low carbohydrates and cholesterol keeping the extra fat in check.
⦁ Faster muscle recovery with added glutamine after the tough workout.
⦁ Glutamine and added BCCAs content may be higher.
⦁ Whey protein is not strictly Isolate or Hydrolysate.
- Fitmiss Delight Healthy Nutrition Shake for Women, Chocolate, 1.2lbs. Have that urge to drink water during the workout? I suggest replace water with the shake made out of Fitmiss Delight and you’ll see the significant change in your body. Adding this to your fitness regime sheds extra fat and tone up the muscles. Blend it with a banana to give it a smooth texture. Contains eggs, soy, and milk, which gives you a boost in muscle build up. If you are a new mom and struggling to get back into your shape, just take Fitmiss Delight Healthy Shake in your breakfast. Chocolate adds to the healthy flavor of the product and will not take much time to become your favorite. If you are lactose intolerant, this can be taken with water as well. You will observe a noticeable change in your waistline without weighing yourself. Losing weight while in taking necessary vitamins, calcium and other nutrients is the best gift a woman can get. Just enjoy this change and love yourself.Pros
⦁ Helpful in consistent weight loss with a proper fitness regime.
⦁ Tones the body in perfect shape with regular intake.
⦁ Low in calorie content.
⦁ Solution to those hunger pangs and junk craving.Cons
⦁ Consuming on empty stomach may upset it.
⦁ Contains artificial sweeteners.
- MuscleBlaze Whey Gold Protein, 2 kg Rich Milk Chocolate
With a third-party accreditation from NABL; Muscle Blaze Whey Gold Protein is one authentic product in the market that is safe for muscle building. Happy news vegetarians! Has a green vegetarian sign and is gluten-free. This supplement is a boon to both; who want to gain or lose weight. Enriched with EAAs (Essential Amino Acids), this supplement speeds up the recovery of your muscles. Using a unique non-duplicable code which comes with each product; you can check for the genuineness by just sending an SMS to the company. It can be consumed by lactose intolerant women too as it claims to be lactose-free. Consume it during your workout or immediately after the workout to get the best results. You can also consume it twice a day. Right diet and a strict fitness regime in addition; helps it to work faster.
⦁ 100% Whey Isolate Protein helps you cut down extra fat.
⦁ Authentic product.
⦁ Sugar and gluten free make slimming healthy.
⦁ Doesn’t upset your stomach and can be taken as breakfast, mixing it just with water.
⦁ Improved packaging is not as good as the old one.
⦁ Needs to be stirred for a longer period.
- Ultimate Nutrition ISO Sensation 93 – 5 lbs (Chocolate Fudge) Each scoop of Ultimate Nutrition Iso Sensation 93 gives you 30 gms of Isolate protein which is better than any other Whey available in the market. The product claims to optimize the insulin metabolism which helps in muscle building. Insulin is a protein chain or a peptide hormone. Instigating biochemical reactions in the body muscle which increases protein synthesis, thus insulin helps in the building muscle out of the amino acids which enter the muscle cells. So, ladies Insulin is not always bad you just need to keep a check on it. If you are willing to pay some extra pennies to achieve that target of yours, this is a good product available. You can feel the difference in your body after few weeks, with the right gym and food regime. Has an odd smell but once you taste it, you’ll enjoy the taste. Consult your doctor before replacing your meal with it. Otherwise, it’s a nice protein supplement along with your diet.Pros
⦁ Results in less bloating.
⦁ Flavors are good to taste.
⦁ High protein content per scoop.
⦁ Optimizes Insulin metabolism to build muscle.Cons
⦁ Has a strange smell.
⦁ Granules may be found even after stirring.
- Ultimate Nutrition Prostar 100% Whey Protein – 5.28 lbs (Chocolate Crème) Having a smooth texture Ultimate Nutrition Prostar 100% Whey Protein dissolves easily. It provides you with 25gms of protein per scoop, which is not a bad deal. Boosting the immune system it is good for both fat loss as well as muscle building. Enriched with a good amount of BCCAs, helps your body to recover that muscle tears rapidly. Those who have a sweet tooth can definitely go for this product. It keeps your body fit and fresh by acting as an antioxidant. Shedding off those extra tires and attaining that lean body is made easy by this product. Just give it a shake and drink it during your workout or take it with your oatmeal leaving that extra sugar.Pros
⦁ Mixes well with water and milk.
⦁ Boosts immune system.
⦁ Muscle recovery and repairing are faster with it.
⦁ Supports stronger build up with the antioxidant properties.Cons
⦁ Sweeter than usual Whey Protein.
⦁ Have to struggle to find out whether the product is genuine or not.
How Whey protein keep that fat away
Whey protein is a great workout supplement ladies. But always remember to consult your doctor, check for allergies and never totally depend on supplements. Your body needs energy, carbohydrates, calcium and many other nutrients apart from protein. Never go on a complete diet add the supplement to your diet consulting your dietician. You can choose the product that suits you and fits your fitness regime. Always workout if you are taking whey protein as a supplement otherwise you may put up extra weight. Choose from the variety with your favorite flavor and get in that perfect shape you have been longing for. Stay Healthy, Stay Fit!