What exactly whey protein is and it’s source
Whey is a source of protein, naturally found in milk. Whey protein is not exactly all 100% protein, being a dairy product it naturally contains some fat and sugar lactose.
There are two types of proteins in Milk, out of which one happens to be Whey Protein (20%). The other is Casein which makes 80% of the milk.
Whey is a combination of other smaller protein sub fractions like beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, and immunoglobulins. It also contains a small portion of lactose, minerals, and traces of fats.
It is a common knowledge that all proteins aren’t created equal as some are superior due to its richness. Our Whey Protein comes in the superior category.
Ever noticed that watery portion when you open a yogurt? That’s what later becomes whey protein which is popularly used as pre-work out supplement.
They are also devoured as healthy protein shakes all over the world.
What makes whey protein the richest and the best protein supplement is the abundance of Amino acids which is essential for growth and tissue repair.
Types of Whey Proteins
Whey Protein Concentrate
Whey Protein Concentrate is the most basic type of whey protein. It comes in the rawest and untreated form with 30-89% protein, 10-55% lactose and a small quantity of fat. Concentrated contains the lowest quantity of protein and tastes way better than the other two. Whey Protein supplement is high in demand and hence isn’t affordable for everyone, but Whey Protein Concentrate (denoted as WPC) is cheap. The fact it goes through fewer processes help it to retain biologically active ingredients which are essential. On the other hand, its rawness (size) makes it harder to digest.
Whey Protein Isolate
Whey Protein Isolate contains a higher concentration of protein (about 90%). It is considered the purest form of whey protein. WPI is highly recommended for lactose-intolerant as it eliminates lactose during the processes. The lactose and fat content makes up below 1% of the ingredients.
As this requires more processing than WPC, the expense increases.
WPI is safe for the stomach as it causes no digestive harms. The best protein powder, optimum nutrition whey protein, consists mainly of isolate which has received highest protein powder reviews.
Whey Protein Hydrolysate
Protein has exposure to high heat, enzymes, or acid to break the bond holding amino acids. Whey Protein Hydrolysate is the fastest and the easiest for your body to absorb. The process that makes it so easy to intake requires time and money making WPH the most expensive form of whey protein. This type of protein is mostly used for sports and acts like pre-work out supplements.
This watery substance taken from cow’s milk while making cheese is gaining popularity day by day. Everyone who goes to the gym knows the importance of Whey protein which adds optimum nutrition to your body.
Whey is not famous for nothing, and here are some interesting facts that are adding to its popularity.
Interesting facts about Whey Protein
- Taking whey protein before going to bed has shown numerous benefits. The next day, people find it easier to work-out and participate in their fitness routine. This pre-work out supplement is unisex as it is the best protein powder for women as well.
- As people age, it is common to see the loss of muscle mass. Frequent Intake of this healthy protein shake has proven to stop this.
- Whey protein is complete as it contains all the 9 amino including acidscysteine, glutamate, glycine which make it highly desirable for people who participate in physical activities.
- Whey protein supplement can be found in food items. People always associate it with drinks, but Whey protein, in its natural form, can be seen in ricotta cheese, yogurt, collage cheese etc. People, especially fitness enthusiasts, don’t take it often because it isn’t as convenient to carry as drinks, but these items also make healthy pre workout supplements.
- Whey protein powder has an abundance of calcium present in it which, as a result, helps in burning fats.
- Hypertension is a problem that a large number of people suffer. It is proven that the intake of whey protein, best protein powder, protects people from high blood pressure
- Whey protein supplement is the easiest and best supplement to digest. Nothing else can even come close to it when it comes to its quickness and efficiency.
- Whey protein powder has numerous benefits but there are certain combinations to be avoided to stop side effects of whey protein. For example, It shouldn’t be taken along with Levodopa (used to cure Parkinson’s), Alendronate (used to treat bone diseases), Quinolone and Tetracycline antibiotics.
- Inflammation to some extent is fine, but chronic inflammation is a serious problem. Taking a high level of Whey protein has proven to reduce such inflammations. Also read Top 10 Best Blender shaker bottle in 2018
Whey Protein Benefits
Losing Weight, no muscle!
- Want to lose fat without losing muscle? Whey protein comes to rescue. If you are into fitness, you know that nothing is more heart breaking than losing muscle along with fat. Whey protein helps you do it the right way – losing fat and keeping muscles. This is number one among whey protein benefits
- Stress Relief – Now this is a psychological benefit, but a healthy mind is as necessary as a healthy body. This proves that whey protein benefits not only physical health but also mental health. It adjusts the level of the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is called the happy chemical as they can significantly increase the level of happiness. This biochemical messenger, fortunately, has no negative effect and the higher it goes, the better you feel. Serotonin brings happiness and peace to your mind. It is proven to take away unwanted anxiety and change it to relaxation. This, indirectly, adds to a happy and successful bodybuilding experience.
- Whey protein benefits are not limited to men but go a long way. There is a common misconception that every physical activity related items are for men. This not true, especially in the case of whey protein which is highly beneficial for women as well. People believe using whey protein will make them bulkier and man-like which is not the case. This easy to digest supplement reduces both fat and cholesterol level. Intake of whey leads to higher metabolism that will further burn the fats present.
- Lastly, why protein benefits are not all about health because whey protein can bring out some severe changes in your appearance. Who likes to age? Nobody! Whey can’t completely stop the aging process, but can surely delay it by a year or two. The presence of glutathione is what keeps your muscles strong.
- Wound healing is another rare whey protein benefit which a lot of people aren’t aware. Intake of whey protein makes the healing process faster.
- It can help fight acne and add strength to your scalp. In fact it was be used as an alternative for conditioner.
Whey Protein and Body building
Healthy Protein Shakes for Weight Gain
- Whey Protein, known as weight gain shake, is one of the essential supplements in gaining muscles, and this makes whey indispensable for bodybuilding. Whey increases mass to muscle mass. Thanks to the amino acids present in it which helps in strengthening the muscles. Leucine is one of the best amino acids for bodybuilding. This highly anabolic protein is said to decrease the loss of mass muscle in people who are aging, so one can only imagine how efficient it is in bodybuilding. One interesting fact about Leucine is that it is metabolized in muscles instead of Kidney, and this feature is common in every amino acid.
- You could work out all you want, but it won’t help until you control your little cravings which lead to further hogging. The excess of amino acid not only increases muscle mass but also decreases appetite.The increase in blood glucose level is what causes appetite taking about 40g of whey protein 30 minutes before eating is the recommended solution to suppress appetite. Amino acids present are the ultimate solution to controlling blood glucose. In any case, you have to be precautious as excess intake will lead to malnutrition.
Whey Protein For Weight Loss
- It is true that the sole aim of whey protein is not to help lose weight; instead whey protein is for weight gain. But this pre workout supplement is all about removing fat, and healthy weight gain. When the fat leaves your body, you form a healthy body. Don’t underestimate the benefits of whey protein. It is a sort of supplement that can help you achieve any healthy body you desire.
- Some major change is to be made in the eating lifestyle. One way to do this is by blending it with your morning smoothie along with other healthy fruits and vegetables. This requires giving up your tasty breakfast, but nothing good comes easy. What’s so amazing about whey protein is that you don’t need to waste hours trying to cook – a blender is all you need.
- Whey will keep your metabolism high throughout the day. Whey also keeps you satiated, removing the urge to eat frequency, which is another obvious way to lose weight. Keep in mind that replacing every meal is not a choice as your body needs other nutrients as well.
- Whey protein keeps the lean muscle tissue, as that is required for your body; instead, it discards unwanted fats. This liquid, that comes from cow’s milk is linked to weight loss. Also consuming pre workout supplement one hour before work out has brings in a drastic loss of weight. Whey protein will rapidly increase your muscle density and as a result, burn down a large amount of fat which indirectly adds to your weight loss requirements. All in all, whey protein is the healthiest way to lose fat.
Whey protein for weight gain
Are you one of those people who find it extremely hard to gain weight? The reason behind it is high metabolism. Gaining weight is not something that happens overnight. It takes time and perseverance.
Whey protein can’t do magic, but will definitely help in the process.
Add 1 scoop of whey protein to milk and add items like oats, peanuts and whatever matches your taste. Later, repeat this 2-3 times in the same day.
This way, whey protein will help for weight gain.
Optimum Nutrition is the best in town for this purpose.
Whey protein isolate makes up the majority of optimum nutrition whey protein. Isolate is the purest form hence making optimum nutrition one of the best.
This product has got highest whey protein reviews.
Some of the whey protein powder which received the highest review are
Lastly, consume high level of whey protein and limit your physical activity if you want to see significant change in a short period of time. This is not a highly recommended method, but if weight gain is something you are really looking forward to then this might be your best resort.
Whey Protein Side effects
- Reaction from Lactose intolerant The basic form, WPC, still contains a lot of milk. If taken in by a lactose intolerant person then it can lead to an upset stomach. It can cause problems like vomiting, bloating and diarrhea when a lactose intolerant person has it. This whey protein side effect is its biggest drawback. Mostly, this problem arises when people forget to read the ingredients of whey protein powder.
- Unbalanced Diet Going overboard is harmful, no matter how beneficial something is. Whey protein is no exception, and hence replacing every meal with whey protein can be dangerous. Every nutrient has its own benefits and it is essential to have a proper composition. This might not sound like a serious problem at first, but if practiced for a long period then certain problems can be noticed. Creating an unbalance in diet is a whey protein side effect
- Hair loss This point may sound shocking, but cutting down Vitamins in your diet leads to shedding of hair. It is not the fault of whey protein but high consumption decreases your appetite. Lesser the vitamin, the thinner the hair. This whey protein side effect is caused by unbalanced diet. Therefore taking essential nutrients along with whey protein are necessary to avoid this side effect.
- Toxic Heavy Metals Cadmium, mercury, arsenic, and lead are some of the harmful toxic which can be found in protein drinks. This case is common in cheap and poor companies which are willing to do anything in order to make money. Often times, bodybuilders are so determined about passion, they hardly check the ingredients. These harmful toxic can have fatal whey protein side effects to one’s body and hence proper care should be taken while buying protein powders.
How to take whey protein
There are certain things to keep in mind before you take whey protein. You need to educate yourself about the requirements.
- You need to get a protein chart that tells you the right amount of protein which is required per day; the internet makes the process very easy. Or else you can go to the nutritionist for this.
- Secondly, you need to check your weight and figure out some milestones you need to cross before reaching your goal.
- Thirdly, calculate the protein that is available in your other diet.
- There are certain ways to take whey protein, and it is recommended to take it either before/after a workout or before going to sleep.
- In any case, one scoop of powder should be added to 6 ounces of water. To get a better taste, you can add ice cubes and juicy fruits. Almond and nuts are some other items you can mix up to make the shake taste better.
How much whey protein shake you need
Protein, like everything else, can prove to be harmful if one goes overboard with it.
Apart from that, it also depends on your goal – If you want to lose a lot of weight then you need to take a little extra than what is considered normal and if you are drinking these healthy protein shakes for weight gain then different approach should be followed.
Below, is the amount for someone who is newly starting whey protein powder usage.
Protein isolate can be taken about 20 grams per day. The intake can be divided into 5 times with 5 gram per shake. In case you are very athletic then you can double the amount to 40 grams.
On the other hand, the amount of concentrate should be proportionate to your weight. If you weigh 145 pounds, then you are recommended to take 145 grams. But the division of shake is necessary – Taking all in together should be prohibited. You need to neatly divide it into 4-5 shakes with appropriate hours of gap.
Whey protein, like everything else, has got its ups and downs so it is essential to weigh it before actually taking it.
This brief explanation of whey protein is to educate you about every aspect of whey protein. It is going to help you understand the types of protein available and decide you pick the one that is right for you.
Your goal can be different from others, and whey protein has more than one benefit – if you want to gain weight then a different approach must be followed otherwise you might end up gaining.